How to get an EPC for your property – the first step towards RHI acreditation

We have put together a guide on the procedure for gaining the first document towards your RHI approval in the domestic RHI scheme. An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) is the first thing you will need in this process and here we will explain how to achieve this.

Domestic RHI

The domestic Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) launched on April 9th 2014. The scheme has been designed to drive forward uptake of renewable heat technologies in homes across the UK to cut carbon, help meet renewables targets and save money on fuel bills. The scheme is available to people who own the homes they live in, private and registered social landlords and self-builders for the heat that that they generate from a single biomass boiler and use to supply heating and hot water to a single domestic dwelling.

Determining your payments

Tariff levels have been set at 7.14p/kWh for biomass boilers up to 45kW. The domestic scheme therefore represents payments of circa £1,428 a year for a 20kW biomass boiler and circa £2,856 for a 40kW biomass boiler.

Payments will be made on a quarterly basis for seven years. In most cases, payments will be made based on estimated  the heating and hot water requirements (or heat load) of the property based on a series of energy calculations and assumptions.

These are based on a home having the heating on for 30% of the year on average, which is 1,314 hours. This 'deemed' figure for any given property is then contained within an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC). Gaining an EPC for  your property is the first step in your application for inclusion in the Domestic RHI.

How are heat load calculations made?

An assessor visits your home and will make a series of calculations based on the heating and hot water requirements (or heat load) of the property. This is calculated by adding both heating and hot water requirements together and subtracting the impact of any loft, cavity or solid wall insulation.

The example below shows the  size of biomass boiler is calculated by dividing the EPC value by 1,314 hours. In this example  the size of biomass boiler would  be 19kW.

How do I get an EPC?

If you have recently purchased your property you may have been given a EPC as part of the house’s paperwork, which may suffice. However, in most cases, you will need a visit from Domestic Energy Assessor to gain a new EPC.

It is important to use an accredited Domestic Energy Assessor, who is qualified and recognised by Ofgem as accredited to conduct a domestic energy review and to generate an EPC. This can seem like a daunting task, but knowing where to look is half the battle.

How to find a domestic Energy Assessor?

A user-friendly online postcode search tool has been developed by The Landmark Information Group. By entering your postcode you will be given a list of relevant and accredited assessors in your area.

If you have any further questions, don’t hesitate to get in touch.

Ready to talk to us about biomass and RHI?

Get in touch today

01884 250790

Back to top